Sunday 4 March 2012

March 3

Setting Aside a Personal Sabbath Anybody can observe the Sabbath but making it holy surely takes the rest of the week. ~Alice Walker

It's been far too many years since I've been to church. I think the last time was Father's Day 2003 when I was living far away from home in Ontario and figured if I couldn't spend it with my Daddy, then I may as well spend it with the Big Daddy of all time. But making a day sabbath does not necessarily mean going to church, or temple, mosque or synagogue. It can simply mean taking a day of rest. A day of staying in pajamas and doing as little work as possible. No finishing undone projects from the past week or starting new ones getting ready for the next. It is for reverence, rest, renewal, rejuvenation, reassuring, rituals, recreation, rejoicing, revelation and remembering. Forget R&R, that's R to the 10! What matters is that you do something special that speaks to you soul. I don't think that painting truly speaks to my soul, as much as I do love redecorating and seeing the beautiful fruits of my labours. I will skip it today, but only because a trip to Edmonton to pick up a new vehicle has gotten in the way of any R&R, but my Sabbath will be Sundays. My Sabbath will be a do nothing day, not even to "putter" as I call it, when I clean house in what ever haphazard order, ADHD schematic that overcomes me. I will walk in the outdoors, take pictures of the landscape and be grateful and say thank you to the universe for all that I have been blessed with. If this is not what the Great Creator intended when She created the Sabbath, then I have no idea what is sacred. ~Sarah Ban Breathnach

No comments: