Tuesday 16 April 2013

Walking As Meditation

"I will tell you what I learned myself. For me a long, five- or six- mile walk helps. And one must go alone and every day." ~ Brenda Euland

For me it's just a short 2 mile walk, to pick up the mail at the end of the road and back. Once in a blue moon. When the sun is shining and there's no wind. Yeah, fair weather walker Sam I am. For Sarah, it's not exercise, it's "moving meditation". She walks for her soul. Henry David Thoreau says, "It requires a direct dispensation from Heaven to become a walker." Must be why I'm not a faithful walker, yet. There are lots of different reasons for walking like increasing the heart rate and building strength, solving a problem, finishing an argument with yourself or someone else, to connect to the world around  you and to meditate. Fitness of the spirit. Those are all her reasons. I need to find mine. If you have a hard time trying to sit and meditate, then try walking meditation. Even just twenty minutes is long enough to restore a sense of serenity. Let go of your stresses and struggles for just 20 minutes and let life unfold and walk your worries away... "step-by-step"...I will as soon as the snow melts lol

No comments: