Wednesday 17 April 2013

Making Peace With Your Hair

"Genius is of small use to a woman who does not know how to do her hair" ~ Edith Warton

How about who does not WANT to do her hair? I used to have a short spiky do that wasn't too difficult to maintain but it just didn't travel well under a motorcycle helmet. Growing it long means it is low maintenance and easy to just pull back into a ponytail and not worry. My "crowning glory" is slowly greying and these days I am slower to hide it. Gone are the days of highlights or low lights with foils or caps. I'm back to my natural hair colour (far darker than my hairdresser, Monika owner of Hill Barber, would prefer) Apparently the rule of thumb is to go a shade lighter the older you get. I say it's just a ploy of the beauty industry to keep you going back for root touch ups, which now, I have to do anyway to cover the grey, so why not do the colour I want, rather than the colour "they" say! Colouring also add fullness and my thin fine tresses need all the help they can get. I would so love to have the thick full manes as seen on shampoo commercials, but it is what it is, I got what I got and you gotta work with what you got. So I'm working it, baby! Stop fighting it and accept it's personality. It's a part of learning to love yourself, one of the biggest lessons being taught in Sarah Ban Breathnach's book, Simple Abundance: A daybook of Comfort and Joy!


"Your thorns are the best part of you" ~ Marianne Moore

No comments: