Sunday 21 April 2013

Aromatherapy: The Restorative Comfort of Frangrance

"Smells are surer than sounds and sights to make heartstrings crack." ~ Rudyard Kipling

Sarah was a convert via a trusted friend to the pleasure and power of scent to heal the mind, body and soul. The blend of essential oils or the extracts of plants is an ancient art. Lavender oil massaged on the temples can rid a headache. Rosemary can activate memory and Basil stimulated the brain. Peppermint enhances mental clarity and sharpness and as I learned on Pinterest, also repels spiders. Inhaling a scent can make the brain trigger biochemical secretions that can affect your moods, feelings and emotions. Immersing in scent stimulates the lymph system and enters the bloodstream. Whether soaking in a oil infused bath or heating in , discover the soothing replenishment effects of aromatherapy. 


Personally, I don't like the smell of Lavender but I recently discovered a bottle of Rosemary oil in the back of the cupboard and poured some into an empty reed diffuser. Rosemary oil is said to stimulate hair growth, boost mental activity, relieve respiratory problems and reduce pain. Well I'm loving my long tresses, no Rosemary is allowed in the bedroom and burning scented candles can be toxic so essential oils are replacing Glade candles in this household. Unless a candle is made of paraffin or soy, no more burning candles until I can find safer ones. Plus, after quitting smoking a year and a half ago, my lungs seem to be extra sensitive to pollution and tightens right up when I'm around any kind of smoke including campfires and bonfires. "sniff sniff". Then there is my lower back pain that seems to be diminishing. That is probably because there is no need for me to do any vacuuming any more due to the fact that I got a Roomba for Christmas and the iRobot vacuum is scheduled to clean daily. Now if only there was such a thing as an iDuster!!!

No comments: