Thursday 25 April 2013

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

and could see far better when you were younger! I could go on and complain about how aging tampers with the ability to see clearly but the point of today's chapter is to appreciate your gift of sight and all that we see but seldom take the time to look at and appreciate. The sacred sense of sight. Sarah has a painter friend who is able to capture so much detail that it's like a photograph and while we might not be that talented, we can still see the reality that surrounds us. Today, she asks us to look at all the people in our world from family, friends and coworkers to pets and strangers and SMILE at them. "Never forget that the gift of vision was so important that when God created the world, the first command was for Light in order to see,...and he saw that it was good."

I had not read this chapter until I got home from work and I had actually done one thing relative that Sarah would probably see was good. I stopped at my turnoff from the number 3 highway to take a picture when I saw something I appreciated and moved me. It reminded me of our God that created light and watches over us from not just "up there" but everywhere. When I was a child, every time I saw a sun beam reaching through the clouds and radiating from the sky to the ground, I believed that God was shining down on someone. Just as the Star of Bethlehem shone down to guide the three wise men to baby Jesus, God shines down daily to guide someone as well. Swiss Artist Paul Klee declared, "One eye sees, the other feels." So true, as every time I see this it evokes powerful feelings of peace and hope.

No comments: